Friday 28 September 2012

Richard Devine keeps those legs running!

Getting Lost and Hitting ‘That’ Hill

Having decided that going x-country was the way forward for my training I set off after work into the unknown of Crowhurst and Filsham marshes in St Leonards. I hadn’t been out there for 20 years and with it being the end of the summer it is all overgrown so trying to remember a route to run was a task in itself. Fortunately I met a friend running on the other side of a river going the other way who gave me some rough directions. With these fresh in the memory I managed to find my way to Crowhurst and then came to a crossroads at the end of a bridleway. I don’t know if you know much about the countryside, but they aren’t big on signposting. Luck came my way again when a cyclist pointed me in the right direction. I managed to get lost coming back also, missing a turning in some woods and ended up doing an extra mile back to the car. Lovely summers evening for a run.

‘That’ hill is the sight, I along with everyone on 27th October will see at the start of the marathon. I decided to have a go at that start and some of the hills along the seven sisters. After getting lost a few times earlier in the week I made my mind up that I would just out and back in as straight a line as possible.
‘That’ hill is terrible but what I didn’t realise is that there are a few more of those along the way. On the 5 miles out I felt good, going past Belle Tout Lighthouse and through Birling Gap. Then I turned around and came back and realised that I had been pushed along by the wind! Going back up to Belle Tout was too much and I had to walk for 100m. Walking some of the hills is not out of the question on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment