Tuesday 18 September 2012

Richard keeps on pounding the hills.

Here Richard guides us through a return to the fantastic benefits of cross-country running.
After pounding the concrete streets and increasing my mileage for a couple of weeks I have run into a few problems with my IT Band, the dreaded Runners Knee! Having had it before I knew what to do so a few days rest and plenty of stretching and decided to take myself x-country running as that has always helped and seeing as the marathon is off road a good excuse to get out and about the beautiful Sussex countryside. I decided to go on a 10k loop in Ashburnham that I have walked from fellow runner Nick Browns 1066 Country Walks book.
A side note, In Chris McDougals book Born To Run a theory for the ability of Taramuhara Indian runners, along side their diet, technique and need to run, it was suggested that enjoying running was the key. Running with a smile when you are 60 miles into a 100 mile race.
With that theory I went out to run the hills of Ashburnham in Battle whilst listening to comedy. If I could be amused whilst running then I wouldn't be thinking about the pain in my legs whilst pounding up hills.
Thanks to Kevin Bridges, Jim Jefferies and Billy Connolly I flew round a 10k loop in the country side of Battle without thinking how long I was out for (including being chased by some playful cattle). I don't think I looked at my watch once until I finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment