Wednesday 5 September 2012

Still going strong

Richard Devine, one of our Beachy Head Marathon competition winners, has again written a fantastic piece about how his training is progressing.

10 weeks to go and I’m feeling motivated. I had just finished reading Scott Jurek’s book 'Eat and Run' and decided to go out for a run with no watch to tell me how long, how far and at what pace I was running. Running for the fun of it.

I set out once the early evening had cooled and headed out towards the countryside where I hadn’t run before with only a vague idea of which where I was headed for. Still plugged into my iPod though, don’t need to hear myself struggling up hills!

Quite liberating to run and have no idea whether I should go faster to keep to a pace or how far I had gone. Ran comfortably for what turned out to be about an hour and a quarter and did just over 9 miles of undulating country lanes and their grassy verges (can’t help but map it afterwards). No dogs to try and trip me over this time but there was a tractor that had parked itself across the road but I saw that one from a distance and managed to sidestep it like Mo Farah striding out of the pack and sprinting away.

Think I will need to hit a few more hills and stay out longer over the next few weeks to be sure I’m ready, already planning new routes to make runs longer, the clock is ticking.

No comments:

Post a Comment