Wednesday 22 August 2012

Palmer's Olympic Experiences

We spoke to Palmer back in May, before he was due to carry the Olympic Torch through the streets of Nottingham. Palmer lives in Eastbourne and he’s been in touch to tell us all about the excitement in the town on the afternoon of Tuesday 17 July, when he went along to cheer on Eastbourne’s torch bearers…


Palmer with his Olympic Torch!
“I went out along the seafront to support all of Eastbourne’s torch bearers and had a fantastic afternoon – I even took along my torch which made a lot of people very happy!

My wife and I got to the stage in Princes Park at about half 2 and I thought we might have missed the boat, but when we got the torch out to show the Mayor the amount of people queuing up and wanting photos was unreal.


Meeting his fans!
We then went off to watch the torch relay and on the way got approached by the man off the stage, who said he wanted me up there with him when the torch passes. He said that anyone wanting to get a closer look at the torch can come closer to the stage. When he introduced me to the crowd they went wild, it was unbelievable! I then did an interview on stage with him, which was fantastic.

Palmer on stage
After than I was ushered to the back of the stage where there was even more pandemonium! It was mayhem - hundreds and hundreds of people mobbed me, taking photographs, wanting to touch the torch and kids asking for autographs.

It really didn’t stop all day and my wife and I did not get home till almost seven o’clock. The Mayor and his wife were very nice and he even gave me his email and invited us to have tea with him, along with all the other torch bearers. Overall it was such an amazing experience, I feel so very lucky as it was such an honour to have been picked. 
The crowds in Princes Park


No comments:

Post a Comment