Monday 16 July 2012

Meet Our Young Torch Bearers

You must be one of the youngest torch bearers in Eastbourne Lauren, how old are you?
I’m 15 years old, still at the Angmering School in Year 10, but nearly in Year 11.

So tell us about your reaction when you found out you had been selected to carry the Olympic Torch, I bet you’ve got some very jealous friends at the moment?
I never thought that I would end up carrying the torch, so when I found out I was so shocked and so excited. I am really into sport and looking forward to the Olympics, it’s such an exciting year and to be apart of it is even better. I can’t wait for my day to run and to be part of the 8,000 inspiring people. All my friends are really supportive and coming up on the day to watch! 

Tell us about your passion for sports?
Sport is brilliant, as much as I enjoy school and my other subjects; PE has to be the best! My achievements in sport are being captain for Worthing rugby club and then getting into Sussex and then getting trials for South of England, but unfortunately I didn't get in. I am really into outdoor sports like kayaking and adventure activities as I was part of the scouts and was very involved until I was too old and then volunteered at the local beavers club for over a year. I play all sports at my school and am always willing to do after school fixtures. If my teachers need help in sports leading then I always help out. I won sports personality of the year for 2011/12 and can’t wait for when I leave school to help younger children get more involved with sport. I play basketball, athletics, stool ball, rounders, rugby and netball. I am really enthusiastic about PE and was able to take my GCSE a year early and got an A - which means next year I can work on teaching skills, if I ever want to go down that route.

I guess you won’t need to do much preparation for the big day, as you do a lot of sports. Are you nervous about it?
I’m really nervous, but I’m more excited to be able to celebrate sport, see everyone there and have all my family and friends around me.

Tell us about your nomination for a bravery award for saving someone’s life, what happened?
Yes, I got nominated for a bravery award at the Windmill Theatre. It was just a natural instinct really, I saw I woman was distressed and she was trying to drown herself, so I knew that it was important for me to help her out. So I swam out and helped her back to land. It was quite deep but I knew that I’m a pretty good swimmer and she was more important at the time. I would of done it if it was anyone, I’m always willing to help and it was horrible seeing someone so upset and wanting to end there life.

What are your plans for the future?
Well I originally wanted to be a PE teacher but now I really want to be part of the police force - helping out people and making the streets safer. If I don't get into the police I would be very disappointed, but then I would go into teaching. Recently I did my work experience at the Orchards Middle School in Worthing and I really enjoyed being part of the PE department. They made me feel very welcome and I loved working with the children.

Do you live in Eastbourne, if so how long how you lived in the town? (If not, where? Do you live nearby?)
No I don’t live in Eastbourne; I live in Ferring near Worthing. Its about an hour away, it would of been good if I was closer to home but I’m happy to be there and would of traveled anywhere to be part of the relay. I do go to Eastbourne a lot for my Sussex training - it’s a lovely place to run.

Will you have friends and family coming along to the Torch Relay in Eastbourne to cheer you on?
Yes, all my friends and family are coming, from all over the place. Luckily I have a few cousins that live in Eastbourne so it’s great they can come. Hopefully my friends can get the day off school because it wouldn't be the same without them there. It’s a shame my PE teacher, Miss White, can’t be there as I wouldn't have got into sport or joined rugby if it wasn't for her, and all my rugby coaches who have helped me progress throughout the years.

Thanks for speaking to me Lauren - best of luck on the day! Hope you enjoy yourself, I’m sure you will remember it forever.

Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment