Thursday 30 August 2012

Day 1 of Training

Read Day 1 of Training by Richard Devine - who was one of the lucky winners of our Beachy Head Marathon blogging competition and will be taking part in the marathon on 27 October.
So on a hot Sunday morning I fill up my water bottle, set my Garmin, plug in my iPod and off out the door. Keeping it easy on the flat for the first mile before hitting a couple of inclines to wake the legs up. Already working my way through the water as the sun is beating down and there isnt much cover on the route I had planned so half the water is going over my head. After 2.5 miles i hit another hill, steeper than the first and try to keep the same pace as on the flat knowing I have a downhill section to recover.

Next comes a long undulating road, normally boring but this morning thankfully I have stand up comedy from Kevin Bridges in my ears to pass the time. Once I make it onto the seafront I know I only have a couple of miles to go but that is almost curtailed by a stray dog. Having to hurdle after 4 miles isnt ideal!

As I am coming to the end of my run finishing off my now warm water I pass my girlfriend and our 9 week old son enjoying a stroll on the seafront, just the incentive I need to quicken the pace for the last quarter of a mile.  6.2miles in 48 mins, wonder how long I could keep that pace for, only time will tell and the ice cream on the way home makes it worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment