Thursday 12 July 2012

David Bradford - Olympic Torch Bearer

Let’s meet out latest torch bearer, David Bradford who will be carrying the torch through Eastbourne next Tuesday 17 July.

A big congratulations to you David on being selected to carry the Olympic Torch. Tell us about your reaction when you first found out?It was an honour just to be nominated, so I was really pleased to find out I had been selected.

The charity RP Fighting Blindness nominated you to be a torch bearer, why was this?
I have the eyesight condition retinitis pigmentosa (RP), a progressive disorder affecting the retina of the eye. I was diagnosed in 2006. The charity RP Fighting Blindness – which funds medical research into finding treatments for RP – nominated me because I raise money for them each year by organising Canter for Sight, a team of runners that takes part in the Kings Head Canter 5k run from Chiddlingly to East Hoathly. www.justgiving.com/canterforsight12

Could you tell me more about your sight condition, retinitis pigmentosa?
It's a genetic condition that causes the gradual loss of photo-receptor cells in the retina of the eye. This causes night-blindness at first, followed by the loss of peripheral vision and ultimately complete blindness. I currently have night-blindness and some loss of mid-peripheral vision; my view of the world is best described as 'patchy'!

You’ve run the London Marathon, tell us why your diagnosis made you even more inspired to take part and achieve a person best of two hours and 38 minutes?
When I was diagnosed, my driving license was revoked, so I had to give up motorcycling – one of my main interests at the time (I was a journalist on a motorcycle magazine). This meant I had more time and energy available for running. I'm currently training for the Berlin Marathon, where I hope to run sub-2hrs 35mins.

How has your life changed since being diagnosed? It sounds like you still continue to do a lot of the things you love?
Apart from no longer being permitted to ride motorcycles, my life hasn't changed greatly. I went back to university and studied for an MA; I wrote a dissertation on examples of blindness in literature, from Sophocles, to Milton, to Diderot and into modern times and writers such as JM Coetzee. It was interesting to learn about how fundamental vision is in western culture and philosophy. My nighttime vision is poor, so getting around after dark can be tricky; I much prefer summertime - the longer daylight hours. I'm doing more running than ever, too.

Are you looking forward to the Olympics being held in London, what sports will you be watching in particular?
I'm most looking forward to the middle- and long-distance track events, and hoping Mo Farah wins a medal at the 5,000m - and possibly the 10,000m too.

Are you nervous about being one of Eastbourne’s Olympic Torch Bearers, how have you been preparing for the big day?
I'm slightly nervous, but I figure 300m should be fairly straightforward – a marathon is 42,000m!

What’s your next project and goals for the future?
A PB at the Berlin Marathon, hopefully some more writing projects, and more fundraising.

Finally, 2012 is a momentous year for Britain, what lasting legacy would you like to see from these fantastic celebrations?
It would be nice to think the Olympics will inspire people to take up sport, and discover the enjoyment it can give - whether that's simply jogging a couple of times per week or training hard to compete in marathons. The UK has problems with high rates of obesity and related health problems, including mental health issues, and exercise can be a great, drug-free solution. It needs investment at grassroots level, not only money for the top tier of sportspeople, and I'm not wholly optimistic about that happening.

Thank you David for sharing your inspiring story with us and once again congratulations to you! To find out more about David and to follow his marathon progress visit his website at www.dbfreelance.co.uk

Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment