Tuesday 3 July 2012

Eastbourne's Olympic Torch Bearers

Meet our next Olympic Torch Bearer in Eastbourne – Gavin Owen, who will be carrying the torch through our town on 17 July.

Firstly big congratulations to you Gavin, you must be so excited to have been chosen. What was your first reaction when you heard the news?
Yes, I was somewhat shocked to find I had been chosen, especially after reading some of the other nominations. I’m proud that I’m one of 8,000 people chosen to carry the flame on its journey to the Olympic Stadium.

Your friend Rona nominated you initially, why was this?
Rona nominated me for my passion in the community – which includes running marathons and other events for children’s charities like C-R-Y (Cardiac Risk in the Young). I have helped organise Pride in Brighton for over 10 years and London Pride for the last five years and because I always put my friends before myself and will help them out whenever I can.

You’ve run the Brighton Marathon a few times now, what was it that initially inspired you to take part in these?
After I had completed a tandem parachute jump I decided to try something different. Knowing that I like to jog I thought why not give the marathon a go – it was also the Brighton Inaugural Marathon in 2010 that inspired me.

Tell us more about your involvement with Pride in Brighton and Hove, and London?
I first got involved in Brighton Pride back in 2000 when a friend asked me to help. Having done such a good job as a steward I was asked to help out the following year and this then became a regular event in my life. I have covered all areas as a steward, including being the Chief Steward. I got involved in London Pride a few years later when another friend asked me. Once again I covered many different areas and this year I’m going to be in the ELT department.

Why do you think the judges selected you, I hear one of them was particularly inspired by your achievements?
Once closing date has passed back in December all nominations went to a panel of judges. Sophie Johnstone loved my nomination due to my enthusiasm and my zest for life that came across in my nomination, and that I raise money for charity.

Do you live in Eastbourne Gavin, if so for how long have you lived here, if not do you live nearby?Unfortunately I’m not an Eastbourne resident; I’m actually a born and bred Brightonian. I do however have family members that live in Eastbourne – due to the logistics of the torch relay not everyone was able to have their hometown.

Are you looking forward to the Olympics being held in London, what sports will you be watching in particular?
Yes, I’m looking forward to both the Olympics and Paralympics and although I haven’t gained any tickets I will certainly be watching it all on the television! I’m probably going to watch as many sports as possible, but swimming will definitely be at the top of my list.

Are you nervous about being one of Eastbourne’s Olympic Torch Bearers, how have you been preparing for the big day?
Nervous? No definitely not – I’m so excited it’s unbelievable. I guess I will be nervous on the day though as the whole work will be watching! I’m taking preparing for this momentous day very seriously. I keep up to date on the Torch Relay on the BBC via iPlayer and I’m regularly down the gym training on the treadmill – although we only carry the torch for approximately 300 metres!

What’s your next project and goals for the future?
I have a few projects in the pipeline – including a 10k run in Brighton on the 18 November and then the Brighton Marathon in 2013. I’m also considering looking into doing a personal trainer course later in the year. And I’m also a Games Maker for the Paralympics.

Finally, 2012 is a momentous year for Britain, what lasting legacy would you like to see from these fantastic celebrations?
I hope that these events will inspire people to go out and try something new, whether this be trying a new sport or helping someway in the community. I hope that the Games continue to inspire others and pass the legacy onto future generations.

Thanks for talking to us Gavin. Wishing you the best of luck on the big day on Tuesday 17 July – let’s hope all that training pays off!

Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment