Tuesday 23 October 2012

Since my last update I’ve been collecting medals like an Olympic cyclist!!!

In the last six weeks, I’ve completed three superb half marathons - Maidenhead, Bristol and Cardiff.  I’ve found these mass participation races very rewarding and they’ve provided much needed motivation for those long weekend runs. To help build up my mileage I’ve been tagging some extra miles onto these runs – not easy when you’ve got your heart set on a celebratory pint.

For my last two long runs I’ve been accompanied by Diana Johnson (Pictured - Sarah’s mum) – a true inspiration.  Diana and Grahams vast running experience has helped with my own discipline and have been a great influence on my running, between them many marathons and hundreds of half marathons.  Among the many nuggets, my favourite has to be the Johnson family mantra of ‘start slow and taper down’.  Always make me smile and insights like that ensure that running remains fun without unnecessary pressure.  That and Graham’s (Sarah’s Dad) never ending supply of running socks - for some reason, I keep forgetting to pack them!   For the final stages of the Eastbourne Marathon it will be the Johnson grit and determination which I’ll be storing in the back of my mind and unleashing when I need to dig deep.

So we’re in the final countdown before the starter’s gun. 

Conditions may be variable but I’m looking forward to taking in the sights of Beachy Head and finishing with a smile on my face. 

Wish us all luck

….now where did I put those socks?
Allan and Diana Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment