Tuesday 20 December 2011

Santa's Christmas Message

To our VisitEastbourne fans… you’ve stuck by us all year round, so here’s our Christmas gift to all you good girls and boys – an exclusive interview with the man himself…  Santa Claus!

Santa, we are delighted you are taking time out of your busy pre-Christmas schedule to talk to us today.  You must be busy at your Christmas Cottage in Drusillas Park, how’s it all going?
Everything is going very merrily indeed. I have a lot of help from my elves and we are having a lovely time meeting all the boys and girls at Drusillas Park and finding out what they would like for Christmas. My Cottage is bursting with presents the elves have made, ready for delivery on Christmas Eve, and children can sit on my sleigh, which is parked just outside, to have their photo taken.

Have the people of Eastbourne been good this year?
Yes, Eastbourne has such a wonderful community spirit, I think you’ve all been amazing this year.  Your Santa Fun Run event for charity tickled me greatly, what fun I had jogging along!  And I loved your A to Z of Eastbourne, a great celebration of the town - it’s so important at Christmas time to celebrate what we have, and to help those in need.

Your team of reindeer must be getting ready for their big trip on Christmas Eve, how do you prepare them?
Like all animals, it is very important that I care for my reindeer properly to ensure they remain happy and healthy; after all they have a very important job to do!

I always make sure they are well fed and have plenty of fresh water, and during December I give them extra helpings of grass, moss, birch and willow leaves to help them through the long night on the 24th December.

My pre-flight checks involve a thorough look at their antlers and hooves! After Christmas male reindeers lose their antlers before new ones grow back again for next year. During the winter months, their hoof pads also shrink and tighten to help with the cold conditions…and reduce slipping on rooftops!

What other animals live near your main home at the North pole?
When I’m back home at the North Pole, I see a whole host of other wildlife, including polar bears, seals, whales, arctic foxes, arctic wolves and sometimes the beautiful snowy owl, like the two at Drusillas. I have to come to the zoo though to see penguins - they only live in the South Pole which lots of people don’t realise!

Do you have any special gifts for the people of Eastbourne?
Next year is going to be very special indeed as we have the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee events, a new Sunshine Carnival and a fabulous gift for everyone in July when the Olympic Torch Relay makes its way through the town. 

This once in a lifetime experience will be a wonderful celebration for the town and something to behold.  I think our children will remember this for years to come as something very special indeed.

How do you celebrate on Christmas Day?
Well delivering presents all around the world is quite exhausting, so I always have a little nap and feed the reindeer when I get home.  I’m usually refreshed by mid morning, so with a little Santa magic, I might take Mrs Claus to the free Christmas Day concert at Eastbourne Bandstand for some festive singing and dancing.

What festive gifts will you and Mrs Claus be getting each other this year?
I have some lovely ice skates for Mrs Claus this year so she can make the most of the real Ice Rink down by the beach at Fort Fun.  She’s quite a nifty skater, so she’ll enjoy practicing her bolero routine.

I’m hoping for panto tickets to see The Adventures of Robin Hood at the Devonshire Park Theatre – Robin needs some help battling that wicked Sheriff of Nottingham as he has gotten out of control again - I don’t think he’ll be getting any presents this year!

What happens after Christmas Day – do you get time to relax?
After Christmas, I like to return to my winter cottage at Drusillas and have a little rest before I start my journey back to the North Pole.  On the door of the cottage is a letter box, where boys and girls kindly send me their thank you notes for the gifts they have received. It is very heart-warming indeed.  

Thank you Santa for taking the time to talk to us, before we go - any special requests?
A mince pie or two and a carrot for Rudolph would be a lovely gift for me on Christmas Eve, however the most important thing is for you all to have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends, help those around you and celebrate your wonderful town of Eastbourne!

Thank you Santa, and a Merry Christmas from all at VisitEastbourne!

Visit Santa in his Christmas Cottage at Drusillas Park between now and 23 December or visit between 27 December and 2 January to find out “What Does Santa Do After Christmas?”.  Open from to each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment