Wednesday 7 December 2011

Actor James Hyland on his love of Dickens and Eastbourne's Under Ground Theatre

The award winning actor, writer and director James Hyland comes to Eastbourne's Under Ground Theatre on 10th December in his one-man stage adaptation of the Charles Dickens’ classic “A Christmas Carol – as told by Jacob Marley (deceased)”. 

We caught up with him to find out more...


What inspired you to tell this classic story from the viewpoint of Jacob Marley?
I’ve always wanted to present my own adaptation from an early age.  Having watched the story every year in films and on TV, I have a great love of the story, and so jumped at the chance to do a one man show.

I wanted to do a fresh take by removing the narrator which can be alienating and gives the feel of a work of fiction, and instead present it as a work of fact by utilising the character of Jacob Marley. 

Jacob is the other side of the coin of Scrooge, unlike Scrooge he didn’t get redemption and will be forever in chains throughout eternity.  By utilising Marley’s plight it gives the story another level of poignancy and when he tells the story, as well as experiencing your own emotions, you feel his response.  This dual empathy, gives it credibility and an emotionality that perhaps isn’t there for other shows.

The show has been a huge success and has been described by critics as “thrilling” and even “hypnotic”, what else can the audience expect from the show?
I’ve had such a fabulous response - so many positive things have been said about the show; ‘clever’,  ‘funny’, ‘powerful’, ‘breathtaking’, ‘astonishing’, and a ‘vibrant re-imagination of the classic’.

Adults and children will both enjoy the show, although a little scary in places, it’s also quite touching and emotionally uplifting.  In fact people are often surprised by their emotional response when they watch it.  Men especially are often moved by the plight of Tiny Tim, as he is fundamental to the story – in fact Tiny Tim and Scrooge are aligned.  Through Scrooge’s spiritual healing, he in turn is able to heal Tiny Tim physically. 

Dickens had such a strong message, about the importance of children, not just to your own immediate family but to society as a whole.  I have my own saying ‘Society is the child of man’ and I often find this is what Dickens is trying to say in much of his work.  It is so relevant to today, when you see the rioters on TV, we are all of society and we are just as responsible for these people as we are for our own children.


A one man show with such a physical performance must be challenging, how do you prepare before the tour?
As well as zumba, ballet and boxercise (boxers have to be seriously fit you know!) I am a keen marathon runner and completed the London Marathon in 2003 and 2010 for charities Torch, a hospital in Wales treating Muscular Distrophy; and Care for the Wild International which looks after animals in need across the globe.  The Beachy Head Marathon in Eastbourne certainly sounds like a good challenge, I’ll have to look into that one!
What made you choose Eastbourne and the Under Ground Theatre for your national tour?
Well I actually performed here in 2008 with my first Dickens adaption ‘Hard Times’, which I adapted and performed with two other actors, we played all of the parts so had lots of costume changes!

I really enjoyed the space, it was great and I felt a real connection with the audience, and met them after the performance – in fact I will be doing this again, for anyone who wants to ask me questions after the performance.


When did you first catch the acting bug, and how did you get into acting?
I’ve always loved story telling and any opportunity to dress up as a superhero, as a child I often wore red underpants over my jeans as Superman!  

At junior school I waited desperately for my chance to act in the school play, performed every year by the 4th years, however that year they decided to do a concert instead – I was so mortified I got all the pupils to sign a petition!

However I eventually got my first lead role in secondary school as Captain Stirrick – another story set in Victorian London!  I then performed every year, ending up at the National Youth Theatre, and landing a lead role at the Young Vic, before heading to the Rose Bruford Drama SchoolMy next role as feckless alcoholic Pete Polovsky took me to both the National Student Drama Festival and Edinburgh Festival, winning awards at both.

I’ve since won awards for my short films and more recently for writing the dialogue and taking the lead role in Tinie Tempah’s ‘Disappoint You’ video.  It’s quite controversial and doesn’t even feature Tinie.

You’re the brains behind the show’s production company Brother Wolf, do you have any advice for budding actors, directors and producers?
As Winston Churchill said ‘never give up’ - that’s it in a nutshell really!

For anyone who wants to work in story telling, whether it be TV, film, theatre, radio or any other form, never forget the importance of story telling.  It’s what makes us who we are.  Society is built on communication - never give up trying to be a part of it.

The greatest stories ever told are what makes us who we are today, from religious texts like the Bible and Qur’an to classic novels like Oliver Twist and Women In Love, its all about the human self.

The story of Scrooge is a huge family favourite at Christmas, what is your all time favourite festive film (or play)?
My favourite has to be A Christmas Carol (1984) featuring George C Scott – there is no better film adaption and it’s true to the book.  Despite the fact it was made for TV, it actually premiered in Leicester Square
for the Queen, it was so good!

I also love the story of Jesus, whether you believe or not, it is still the greatest story ever told - I adore the nativity.

Finally, if we were to buy you the best present ever this Christmas, what would it be?
Well I’d like to say world peace, as we all would, and of course as Dickens teaches.  However being utterly selfish, any form of chocolate is good!

Thanks James for taking time out to talk to us!
Tracey

James stars in “A Christmas Carol – As Told By Jacob Marley (Deceased)” at the Under Ground Theatre, Eastbourne on 10 December at , followed by an opportunity to talk to James.  Tickets £9/£8 from Eastbourne Tourist Information Centre or on the door. www.undergroundtheatre.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment