Tuesday 24 June 2014

Midsummer - Indulgent evening runs and back to watch the sunset

Guest Blogger: Alf Empty: Beachy Head Marathon

While that screen saver featuring the white cliffs and Belle Tout on the horizon may taunt those of us stuck at a desk by day, at least we now have the long evenings to run and relax in.

Time to change some routes as brambles and nettles are now starting to take over the narrower of my woodland paths.  Despite the sunshine and drier weather, parts of low lying paths are still flooded in my area.  Though I love running in woodlands and enjoy the shade from the sun and shelter from wind and rain they provide, there is nothing like the open fells.  It is wonderful to see a switchback before you, and to have a horizon to run towards.


Even those using a 'six month to first marathon' schedule will be running around 12 - 15 miles on their long runs by now.  Far enough to be experimenting with nutrition on the run and thinking about route visualisation and topography.  Exciting and important stuff.  I remember steeling myself for the iconic 'Seven Sisters' the first time I ran Beachy Head Marathon.  I was shattered, but sort of elated as I came into Birling Gap with the sisters' behind me.  It was then that I realised someone had put a large hill in the way of the finish, that would be Beachy Head then.  As I crawled my way up this last hill I cried a little each time a false summit dashed my hopes again.  Visualisation failure.

- Alf Emty
Half full or half empty, it's the same amount of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment