Tuesday 15 November 2011

The second half of our interview with Art Attack legend Neil Buchanan...

Yesterday we brought you the first half of our interview with Art Attack legend Neil Buchanan as he's coming to Eastbourne on Friday 9 December to launch his debut fine art collection at Viewpoint Art Gallery, 38 South Stree, at the Little Christmas event. Read the rest of our interview and discover what Neil's best ever art attack was!

So Neil, you’re coming to Eastbourne for one of our favourite Christmas events, Little Christmas – we want to know what your favourite Christmas song is?

Well my favourite Christmas song is exactly the same as my favourite Christmas movie – it’s White Christmas! We have a movie tradition in my family where every Christmas Eve we watch White Christmas.

Of course we can’t interview you and not mention Art Attack! I was a huge fan when I was younger and watched every week, as did many of our followers! What was your best ever art attack?
When Art Attack became very successful we got to travel far and wide to go massive art attacks! We went to New York, Austria, Barbados! When the producers called me and asked if I had any ideas for a Christmas special, I was like how about a surfing Santa in Barbados? They said ‘yeah, sounds great!’

But in the UK my favourite was the portrait of the Queen, which I did using a quarter of a million pounds in £10 notes that the Bank of England loaned to us and charged us £50 interest. I thought that was pretty good!

Have you ever done an Art Attack in Eastbourne?
Yeah, we did. It was right next to the Pier and we did something on the beach in pebbles, it was something with a nautical theme. I’m trying to think now… it might have been a fishing scene on the beach… it was either a fishing scene or a big picture of a fish.

It was great. Everywhere I went I had this mobile Winnebago where I could sit and shelter in the rain, have lunch and all that. It was when my daughter was in her first year at Eastbourne College and she came down and we had fish and chips from the Pier in the Winnebago.

I’m looking forward to the Little Chelsea Little Christmas event in a few weeks because I’ll actually have the chance to get out and wander round a bit. I’ve driven through so many times, it will make a change to actually have a look.

Christmas is a great time for kids to get creative – what’s your best tip for making Christmas cards and any other tips for hand made gifts?
They’re a lot cheaper! Seriously whatever you’re doing just remember it doesn’t need to be perfect, it just has to be made with love and whoever you’re giving it to should be able to recognise that.

Finally, if we were to buy you the best present ever this Christmas, what would it be?
I love questions that I’ve never been asked before because it makes me have to think! God, that’s hard! I want to say something gratuitous and not correct in a P.C. sort of way. I wanna say something for me!

I think the best Christmas present I have ever had is a game of Subbuteo table football. What I did is I found it under Mum and Dad’s bed and took it out and played with it and then wrapped it back up every day! This was over about two weeks before Christmas! I loved it so much.

When I was 13 I had this fantastic Subbuteo collection. I had a team of 32 that cost 10 shillings each, that’s about 50p today. It really was the best present ever but I sold the lot for £3 and bought a Black Sabbath album!

So you know what I’m going to say! I’d like Subbuteo back place and my present to you is a Black Sabbath album, slightly used and slightly worn…!

No comments:

Post a Comment